Truck accidents can cause devastating damage and can be catastrophic to the victims in several ways. The trauma inflicted by the truck accident may take the victim years to recover from. The changes to the victims life may also extend to their family through the loss of income, quality of life and even death. If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, contact a truck accident attorney immediately, so that they can fight for your rights and help maximize your claim.
Common Injuries Caused By a Truck Accident
Truck accidents tend to cause traumatic injuries due to the size difference in the vehicles. There are a number of common injuries that are caused by these types of vehicle accidents. These injuries include:
- Broken bones due to the powerful impact
- Back and neck injuries that may render one immobile
- Head injuries that may cause loss of cognitive and mortal functions
- Internal injuries that are fatal if unnoticed and sometimes difficult to treat
- Spine injuries leading to paralysis
- Rib and lung injuries
In any case, death is the most damaging result and brings pain to the family, especially if the deceased was a breadwinner.
Conversely, if you or a loved one is a victim of truck accident injuries, there are a few essential things you can do. Here are a few tips to consider if you’re injured in a truck accident.
- Seek Treatment – Your well-being is the most crucial aspect, and you should first ensure that you get medical attention. Visit your doctor for a full diagnosis and determine the degree of the injuries. The doctor will also deliver the needed care and medical aid where necessary. If you need surgeries, then consult your doctor to know the best step forward.
The degree of your injuries and the appropriate treatment needed allow you to plan the way forward. An excellent source of assistance can be from your truck accident attorney. They will know the proper medical experts to communicate with in order to make sure that you obtain the necessary medical procedures and tests to determine the extent of your injuries and the treatment plan moving forward. This will give you a good idea of how long you will be in physical therapy and when you may return to work.
- Find an Attorney – An experienced truck accident attorney can play an integral role in helping you take a legal approach towards finding a solution. A truck accident attorney can usually help you get medical attention, and can often allow you to receive medical treatment, without you having to pay monies directly out of your pocket. Many doctors and other medical providers work with attorneys to provide treatment for truck accident cases under very favorable or deferred payment arrangements. The attorney will also provide the necessary advice on how to handle your truck accident claim.
Most truck accident cases in Texas can be resolved without the necessity of filing a lawsuit. However, sometimes a lawsuit can be the best approach. The truck accident attorney will be able to provide you the best way to handle and maximize your claim.
- Avoid Social Media Posts – It would be best if you also refrained from posting any photos related to the accident on your social media pages. Accidents involving trucks, especially from companies, are not the same as accidents involving other typical drivers. The posts on your social media accounts could lead to legal issues which you want to avoid at this stage. The opposing counsel could use social media posts to undermine your case, by saying that you really aren’t as injured as you are saying and that your life really has not been impacted due to the truck accident.
- Build a Case – Based on your answers to the attorney’s questions, the lawyer will help you build a case for your settlement. If the insurance company fails to settle your medical bills, you can follow up with your truck accident attorney.
A truck accident attorney will also help you determine who is responsible for the accident. It may be due to the other driver’s negligence, recklessness or impairment, all of these will have to be investigated by your attorney. The mistake could be on the truck manufacturer’s side due to mechanical errors in the truck’s configuration. It could be due to weather conditions. There are a number of factors that require the expertise of a legal expert.
Your lawyer will help you identify your chances and know the next step to take for the case.
- Settlement Claims – Your truck accident lawyer can help in calculating the amount of settlement that you should get. The medical expenses will determine the settlement amount and help settle any bills. Your attorney will also consider the degree of the injuries as well, when calculating the proper settlement offer. Your injuries may render you unable to work, and you need something to take care of your family. There are many things to consider when obtaining and maximizing your settlement for your truck accident injuries.
In case you are looking to find more details from an attorney, call our law offices today at any of our convenient locations and get a free consultation.
Arlington (817) 522-4451
Dallas (972) 362-6848
Fort Worth (817) 764-1375
Plano (972) 354-4602
Cedar Hill (972) 338-9427
McKinney (469) 522-3688
Lewisville (972) 354-4605
Frisco (972) 725-7681
Grapevine (817) 835-8677
Irving (972) 354-4610
Keller (817) 204-0904
Garland (214) 572-2251
Denton (940) 222-4060
Addison (972) 564-8108
You can also contact us online by using our quick contact form.