A car accident can be a traumatic event. In many cases, people walk away from an accident thinking that they have not been injured. However, it is important to note that the effects of the accident may not show up right away. If you have been involved in a car accident it is important that you contact an experienced car accident attorney who can assist you in finding the proper medical care and professionals who are familiar with car accident injuries and the necessary treatments and procedures needed to make sure that you have not sustained any unseen injuries that may appear days or weeks later.
Why You May Not Notice Any Symptoms Right Away
The body releases endorphins and adrenaline during a car accident. Those chemicals can boost your energy and mask your pain. That is why even though you may feel fine after an accident, you may still be seriously hurt. The symptoms of the injury will likely show up after the adrenaline and endorphins are gone.
Types of Injuries That You May Not Show Up Right Away
- Headaches – If you have a headache after an accident, then you should pay attention to it. A headache can be a sign of a traumatic brain injury or a blood clot. It may also be a sign of a neck injury or whiplash.
- Pain in the Shoulders And Neck – This is often a sign of whiplash. You may have pain in your shoulders and neck right after an accident. However, this sometimes does not show up until days later. Keep in mind that neck and shoulder pain can also be caused by a herniated disc.
- Back Pain – Lower back pain can be a sign of whiplash. It may also be a sign of a herniated disc or a sprain. If you are having tingling and numbness in your back, then you may have a pinched nerve.
- Abdominal Pain – Soft-tissue injuries are common after an accident. However, if you have internal soft tissue injuries, then they can potentially be fatal. If you have abdominal pain after an accident, then you will need to be checked by a doctor immediately. Abdominal pain may be a sign of internal bleeding.
- Emotional Pain And Suffering – You may experience depression, PTSD and anxiety. The emotional pain and suffering can be related to the injuries that you have. It may also be related to the accident itself. Additionally, you are likely to suffer emotional pain if you have a brain injury.
What to do if Your Pain Has Been Delayed
If you have not signed a release of liability and settled the claim, then you can still get compensated for your injuries. An experienced car accident attorney will be able to assist you in seeing medical professionals who handle car accident victim injuries on a daily basis. These medical professionals will be able to give you the proper medical tests to discover if you have internal injuries or neurological injuries. In addition to this, they will be able to properly document your injuries so that they can be used by your attorney to maximize your claims and also to show the expenses of your medical treatment. Their medical expertise can also show if there will be ongoing medical treatment and extended periods of pain and suffering due to your car accident injuries.
It is a good idea to not settle a claim until you have reached the maximum medical improvement. This is the point where you have reached your full recovery, and your condition is stable. It is unlikely that you will have any undiscovered injuries at this point.
Get A Legal Evaluation Right Now
If you have been involved in a car accident, then your injuries may not show up for several days. You may be anxious to file a claim so that you can quickly get compensated. However, it is important to note that time is on your side. That is why it is a good idea to contact an experienced car accident attorney to help maximize your claim. Your attorney can evaluate your claim. They will also ensure that you make the right decisions.
Call our law offices today at any of our convenient locations and get a free consultation.
Arlington (817) 522-4451
Dallas (972) 362-6848
Fort Worth (817) 764-1375
Plano (972) 354-4602
Cedar Hill (972) 338-9427
McKinney (469) 522-3688
Lewisville (972) 354-4605
Frisco (972) 725-7681
Grapevine (817) 835-8677
Irving (972) 354-4610
Keller (817) 204-0904
Garland (214) 572-2251
Denton (940) 222-4060
Addison (972) 564-8108
You can also contact us online by using our quick contact form.