If you’re suffering from a personal injury that has left you unable to work, coupled with large medical bills, you have options. While it’s easy to feel alone and forgotten during this difficult time, there are steps you can take to improve your outcome and ensure that you get the compensation you deserve.
If you’ve looked into personal injury law at all, you’ve likely heard the term “damages,” but what does that actually mean? To put it simply, damages are the losses you suffer as a result of a personal injury. These can be either physical or intangible. Examples include the following:
- Medical costs (for past, future, and present treatment)
- Damaged property
- Unearned wages due to your injury
- Physical or emotional pain and suffering
4 Things to Consider to Receive the Highest Personal Injury Settlement Possible
When it comes to getting the highest settlement possible for your case, it’s critical to consider relevant factors including:
- The nature of the injury – Different injuries beget different claims. For example, if you have a soft tissue injury (ligaments, muscles, and tendons), your claim may be smaller than it would be if you have suffered from a hard tissue or more serious injury (bone or brain damage). Keep in mind that if you have a soft tissue injury, it may be more difficult to win your settlement, so you’ll need to be very conscious about collecting all possible evidence from the start.
- Liability – The clearer the liability, the easier the case will be to win. While it’s still possible to win a settlement in which the liability is not very clear, it will be an arduous process.
- What are the damages? The amount of damages you have already incurred plays a large role in the outcome of your settlement. With this in mind, it’s critical that you collect proof of all damages sustained, ranging from lost days at work to medical bills paid, for use later on in your case.
- Future prognosis – The future prognosis has a large effect on the outcome of a claim. If you’ve been cleared to go back to work, but will likely always suffer chronic back, neck, or hip pain, for example, these details will help you win your settlement. With this in mind, be sure to collect and archive all paperwork, bills, and medical statements you receive related to your prognosis.
Why hire a Personal Injury Attorney?
Personal injury law is complex and you need a qualified, skilled attorney to help you navigate through it. At the Law Offices of David Kohm, we specialize in settling personal injury claims and are prepared to help you get the compensation you deserve for your personal injury. Regardless of how you were injured, our skilled Dallas and Fort Worth area attorneys will work with you to build a strong case and get you the funds you need.
To learn more about how we can help you with your personal injury claim in Dallas, contact the Law Offices of David Kohm today. Our team is standing by 24/7 to assist you.