Drivers in Texas are legally obligated to stop and help anyone if they’ve been involved in a hit-and-run accident. However, not everyone does this, and some drivers may speed away without dealing with the consequences of their actions or even checking if you’re OK.
Being involved in a hit-and-run accident can feel unnerving, and it’s OK to feel anxious. However, you should know your legal remedies, especially when working with a Texas car accident lawyer. With a reliable attorney, you can ease the burden of dealing with a hit-and-run accident and let them act on your interests.
What To Do Immediately After Your Car Accident in Texas
If you find yourself in a hit-and-run accident, here’s what you should do:
- Pull Over: You might be tempted to pursue the other driver, but don’t. This could make matters worse for building your case and lead to potential harm and damage to your vehicle and yourself.
- Call the Police: Contact the police immediately, and they’ll fill out an accident report. Provide as much information as possible about the hit-and-run and the other driver. This can include:
- The make, model, and color of the vehicle
- A physical description of the driver
- Any part of the license plate that you can recall
- ny witnesses that were in the area.
- Get Medical Help: Contact an ambulance if you or anyone else is injured. Make sure any bodily injuries and the treatments you receive are well-documented, as this can assist your personal injury claim if you make one later on with your car accident lawyer.
- Document Evidence: Make sure that the damage to your vehicle, yourself, and anyone else that was in the car with you is well-documented. Take photos and videos of your vehicle, injuries, and where the accident occurred.
- Talk to Witnesses: If there were other witnesses in the area, take their names and contact information. If the location of your accident has closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras, note this, as it could have captured the incident.
Leave it to the police to track down the other driver. Once you’ve followed these steps, wait for the police to provide you with updates. If they can’t find the other driver, your documentation can at least help you file a claim with your insurance company.
Getting Compensation for the Hit-and-Run Accident
If you’ve become a hit-and-run accident victim, you might find that vehicle damage and bodily injuries are only the start of your problems. Without the other driver taking responsibility, your insurance coverage carries the burden of the entire claim. For some, this may not be enough to cover all the costs.
If the police never find the at-fault driver, your claim may have to be covered by your Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. Unfortunately, what you could receive from your claim may not be enough to cover the damage and injuries. If this happens, you’ll need an experienced car accident attorney.
After filing a police report, local authorities will be on the lookout for the other driver in the hit-and-run accident. If they find them, your car accident lawyer can help you file a claim against their insurance company. You can also file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver for the physical and emotional damages they’ve caused.
If the other driver was intoxicated or driving distracted, you could sue for punitive damages for additional compensation. With a dedicated car accident lawyer, you have someone skilled in representing your interests in court.
And if the other driver is never found, having an attorney on your side gives you plenty of options. Victims of hit-and-run accidents can receive the best possible compensation from their insurance company with the proper representation.
Having an experienced and reliable Texas car accident lawyer means having someone knowledgeable on your side. Your attorney knows the tactics used to diminish claims, and they’ll ensure you get a fair settlement from your insurance company while also representing you in court.
Hire a Car Accident Attorney in Texas Today
Hit-and-run claim cases can involve plenty of negotiations and legal hurdles that can minimize the compensation you’re rightfully entitled to. This is why victims of hit-and-run accidents must have the advice of an experienced team.
The Law Offices of David Kohm is your best bet for legal representation that gives you the compensation you deserve. To learn more about your legal options, insurance claims, or personal injury suits, call the Law Offices of David Kohm today to schedule a free consultation.
Arlington (817) 522-4451
Dallas (972) 362-6848
Fort Worth (817) 764-1375
Plano (972) 354-4602
Cedar Hill (972) 338-9427
McKinney (469) 522-3688
Lewisville (972) 354-4605
Frisco (972) 725-7681
Grapevine (817) 835-8677
Irving (972) 354-4610
Keller (817) 204-0904
Garland (214) 572-2251
Denton (940) 222-4060
Addison (972) 564-8108
You can also contact us online by using our quick contact form.